On June 3-8, 2013 the Ukrainian delegation headed by Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine Oleg Proskuryakov visited Japan. The delegation included the Head of the State Agency of Ukraine for Exclusion Zone Volodymyr Kholosha and representatives of the Environmental Investment Agency of Ukraine. //
During the visit two main issues were discussed:
- On-going cooperation between Ukraine and Japan in overcoming the consequences of accidents at nuclear power plants - "Fukushima-Chornobyl" Cooperation;
- Prospects of implementation of joint projects aimed at reduction of greenhouse emissions under the Kyoto Protocol; waste treatment and disposal, cooperation in the development of new energy resources.
During the visit Minister Proskuryakov held a number of meetings with:
• Minister of Environment of Japan Mr.Nobuteru Ishihara;
• Minister for Reconstruction, Minister in charge of Comprehensive Policy Coordination for Revival from the Nuclear Accident at Fukushima, Head of the Agency for Reconstruction Mr.Takumi Nemoto;
• Deputy Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan Mr.Kazuyoshi Akaba;
• President of the New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization of Japan (NEDO) Mr. Hideo Hato, Vice-President of the International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Masakazu Ichikawa, President of the State Corporation “Japan Оil, Gas and Metals National Corporation” (JOGMEC) Hirobumi Kawano.
During the meetings with the heads of relevant Ministries responsible for the overcoming the nuclear accident at the Fukushima NPP, the parties discussed the cooperation to advance aftermath response to accidents at nuclear power stations, designating and rearranging the areas of evacuation and protection strategies, technologies of decontamination affected areas, monitoring of the environment etc.
The Ukrainian delegation visited the area of Fukushima prefecture damaged of the huge Great East Japan Earthquake, tsunami and the accident at the nuclear power plant "Fukushima-Daiichi", made a close observation of "Fukushima-Daiichi" site and met with the Governor of the prefecture Mr.Yuhey Sato.
During the meeting with Governor of Fukushima Prefecture, the Minister pointed out that Ukraine and Japan should make joint efforts to eliminate the consequences of accidents at nuclear power plants "Fukushima-Daiichi" and Chernobyl NPP. He assured that Ukraine is ready to provide Japan any kind of technical, professional and expert assistance to minimize the consequences of the nuclear accident at “Fukushima-Daiichi" in the years to come.
Head of Ukrainian delegation discussed with the leadership of the Japan International Cooperation Agency prospects of attracting Japanese concessional loans under the "Official Development Assistance" to projects of building waste treatment plants in Ukraine involving recent Japanese technology.
During the meeting with the President of NEDO parties discussed the joint implementation of green projects in Ukraine under the Green Investment Scheme Kyoto Protocol.
With the President of JOGMEC the Minister discussed the prospects of development of new energy resources, including the experimental production of methane hydrate deposits on the seabed by Japanese experts.
In the framework of the visit Minister Oleg Proskuryakov along with Head of Agency Volodymyr Kholosha gave two interviews to one of the leading Japanese newspaper «Asahi Shimbun» and economic newspaper «NIKKEI Shimbun».