The joint press briefing was held to underline the strong, cooperative relationship that exists between the EU and Ukraine, as symbolised by the signing of the political provisions of the Association Agreement between the two parties at the highest level in Brussels on 21 March
Nearly 50 reporters from international and Japanese news agencies, leading print and television media, representatives of political parties, political experts and business community of Japan, as well as foreign diplomatic missions attended this media event.
In the statements the Envoys expressed:
- 21 March, in Brussels, Ukraine and the European Union signed the political provisions of the Agreement. This event is a historic milestone in the development of bilateral relations between Ukraine and the EU on the basis of political association and economic integration, which formally establishes the civilizational choice of Ukraine for European values of democracy, rule of law, human rights and freedoms.
- Ukraine considers the signing of the agreement as a sign of the solidarity of the European Union with the Ukrainian people in the current troubling times for our country and a willingness to promote the comprehensive development of Ukraine as a modern European democracy.
- The political provisions of the Agreement reaffirm the parties’ commitment to the UN Charter and the founding documents of the OSCE, and willingness to work closely to ensure the independence, sovereignty, territorial integrity and inviolability of the borders of Ukraine, and stability and security in the region.
- The Government of Ukraine considers the Association Agreement as a tool to strengthen democratic processes in Ukraine, a guide to systemic political and economic modernization in accordance with the highest European standards.
- The parties have agreed to complete the signing of the Trade and Economic provisions of the Agreement as soon as possible and to begin its practical implementation, including establishment of a broad and comprehensive Free Trade Area.
- The signing and implementation of the Association Agreement is an important step towards the realization of a strategic goal of Ukraine - membership in the European Union
- EU member-states and Ukraine are united in the condemnation of Russia’s illegal military intervention in Ukraine and Russia’s violation of Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.
- EU does not recognize Russia’s illegal and illegitimate attempt to annex Crimea.
During the press conference around 20 questions were asked